2015 AASHTO Value Engineering Award Recipients
Congratulations to the Strategic Analysis Estimating Office and South Central Region.
Their work was recognized and given honorable mention by the AASHTO Value Engineering Technical Committee for Pre-Construction Engineering on projects less than $25 Million.
The award was presented at the AASHTO National Value Engineering Peer Exchange in Washington DC on Tuesday, August 4, 2015.
Project Selection for VE studies
WSDOT’s thresholds are $20 million for Structural projects and $25 million for the rest. – Projects at or above these thresholds have a mandatory VE study.
However, Project size does not matter when selecting a project which to apply Value Engineering, $5 million to $5 billion, no matter how you slice it VE will add value to projects when applied correctly.
It does not matter if a project falls under the threshold for a mandatory study, Value Engineering can be applied to enhance the performance of a facility or reduce its cost, by digging into questions and uncertainties, or as a tool to build consensus - sometimes even just getting the right stakeholders in the room is where value is found.
Value Engineering Letter Archives
- SR 520 - 148th Ave NE Interchange – Overlake Access Ramp - February 2015
- SR 9 - 176th Street SE to SR 96 Vic. – Widening - June 2015
- I-5 - Marvin Road / SR 510 Interchange - October / Nov ember 2015
- I-5 NB S 260th St to Duwamish River Br – Concrete Pavement Rehab & ADA - November 2015
- I-5 - Portland Ave. to Port of Tacoma Road – SB HOV - November / December 2015