- At 11 p.m. on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, April 2-5, crews will close the SR 104 Hood Canal Bridge to vehicular traffic. The bridge will remain closed until 5 a.m. each following day.
- To rebuild and replace internal mechanics of the bridge's draw span, crews need to take precise measurements of those systems. Even slight winds or tides could adversely affect their ability to take those measurements, and the work and accompanying closures could be postponed.
- WSDOT apologizes in advance for the uncertainty the weather poses to the closure schedule, and WSDOT staff will make every effort to announce the availability of the bridge to vehicles. Motorists are strongly advised to sign up to receive automated messages for the most accurate bridge information.
Why is WSDOT
replacing the bridges' internal mechanics that are responsible for opening and closing drawspan?
The existing lower and upper gear boxes are worn and near the end of their lifespan. Beginning the spring of 2017, contractor crews will replace the Hood Canal Bridge's gear boxes, hydraulic hoses and adjust and align the guide rollers that are responsible for operating the drawspan for marine traffic.
During the work, the bridge will need to close to all vehicular traffic over a series of nights. Closure information will be available on this web page and the Olympic Region Weekly Construction and Traffic Updates web page.
Federal law requires the Hood Canal Bridge, and other movable bridges along navigable waterways, to give marine traffic the right-of-way over vehicular traffic.
The End Result
New gear boxes and other internal mechanical parts will allow WSDOT to maintain the functionality of the bridge drawspan and minimize unscheduled impacts to motorists and marine traffic.
Access - With no convenient alternate routes between Kitsap and Jefferson counties, repairing the bridge preserves an important lifeline for residents and businesses.
What is the project timeline?
- Oct. 2016 - Project awarded to Northbank Civil and Marine, Inc.
- Spring 2017 - construction begins
- Fall 2017 - construction complete
|Financial Data for PIN 310439C
||Amount ($ in thousands)
|2003 Gas Tax (Nickel Funding)
|2005 Gas Tax (TPA)
|Pre-Existing Funds (PEF)
Project signage will reflect the cost of construction engineering, project bid award and sales tax.
How can I get more information?
Claudia Bingham Baker
Subscribe to Hood Canal Bridge text messages:
- Send a text message to 468311 with the words "wsdot hood"
- To unsubscribe send a text message to the same number with the words "wsdot stop"
back to top