Winter driving - Snow and Ice Plan
The Washington State Department of Transportation manages all state routes in Washington. Our highway maintenance crews are ready 24 hours a day, seven days a week to prevent or remove snow and ice. These tasks take precedence over all other non-emergency work.
The 2017 - 2018 Snow and Ice Plan provides WSDOT maintenance crews the guidance and direction to assist in safe, efficient and consistent operations.
- Snow and Ice Plan Introduction (PDF 254 KB)
- Chapter 1 - Roadway Treatment Goals (PDF 1.9 MB)
- Chapter 2 - Winter Map Snow and Ice Level of Service and Data Collection Process (PDF 947 KB)
- Chapter 3 - Snow and Ice Training Program and Annual Review Procedures (PDF 282 KB)
- Chapter 4 - Statewide and Regional Material Storage Maps (PDF 10.7 MB)
- Chapter 5 - Field Testing Procedures (PDF 490 KB)
- Chapter 6 - Application Guidelines (PDF 284 KB)
- Appendix I - Deicer Storage Tank Manual (PDF 212 KB)
- Appendix II - Chemical Slipperiness Memo (PDF 86 KB)