Winter driving - Chain installation services
WSDOT issues permits allowing businesses and individuals to install and remove motorist-owned tire chains.
How does it work?
WSDOT notifies chain installers when chains are required. They are not required to respond so all drivers should be able to install their own tire chains.
If chain installers are working, drivers pull into locations signed on I-90.
Chain installers cannot sell tire chains and are required to display a WSDOT permit.
What will it cost?
- Passenger vehicle/light duty truck chain installation: $25 per vehicle
- Passenger vehicle/light duty truck chain removal: $10 per vehicle
- Sale of chain tighteners/elastic cords $3 each tightener or cord
- Repair of broken or missing chain link $5 each link
- Large truck (vehicles over 10,000 GVW) - chain installation: $25 per tire chained
- Large truck (vehicles over 10,000 GVW) - Chain removal: $5 per tire chain removed